Sunday, September 14, 2014

Dining Room Evolution

Hello - it's been quite awhile!  Although I haven't posted since Spring, I have been quite busy working, plotting and planning all of the home projects I want complete (more on that later). :-)

Today, I wanted to share photos of my dining room!

When Justin and I purchased our home in January 2012, our dining room looked like this:

AHHH!  A little heavy on the burgundy, no?  This room was so dark and dated.  I mean, those silky curtains?!?!?  The pealing wallpaper?  The light fixture also wasn't my fave, but I knew I could get some $$ for it on Craigslist to use toward the redecorating!  It all had to go!

When choosing paint colors for our home, I normally go the soft/neutral route and add pops of color... BUT for this room I really wanted to go BOLD.  I thought ripping out the wallpaper and adding white wainscoting would really add some character, brighten the room and also balance out that BOLD color I wanted.  I ended up choosing Benjamin Moore, Surf Blue. 

Here's what she looked like after the paint job!
 Don't mind the ugly brown ottoman.  I used to let my puppies sit there and look out the window until I realized that Wylie (my papillon) was EATING THE WINDOW SILL!!!  Literally.  Let's just say we got rid of the ottoman and I had a fun day of trying to recreate a window sill with wood putty (white window sheers help to disguise it now :)!!!)

I love this paint color so much - so bright and fun!  I think my whole family thought I was a little cuckoo when I showed them the paint swatch, but they are all on board now!  My MCM dining room table was a Craigslist find and comes with 3 leaves.  Our beautiful credenza is a Broyhill found at one of our favorite STL shops, Momoderne, and so was our awesome Sputnik light!  Justin bought me the light for my birthday!!

Over the past couple years I have slowly collected and added to this room and it feels so much more complete.  Here is what our dining room looks like today:
So pretty.

I will never tire of my sputnik light or my mirror! 


The bar cart is vintage and belonged to my great aunt.  It was in pretty rough condition, but is looking good after a fresh coat of gold spray paint.

This cute little chair is from Justin's grandmother and fits perfectly in this corner.  I love the spindle-y legs!

The lamps are from TJMaxx.  I love how they have an acrylic base!  The brass planter is a thrift find and used to have a beautiful living orchid in it until I accidentally killed it... oops.  I bought a nice fake stem from Hobby Lobby and no one can tell the difference... Shhh!  Now, I don't have to ever worry about watering it again ;)  The antler was found by Justin while he was hunting for morel mushrooms...mmmm...!

 I just purchased these two upholstered chairs from TJ Maxx.  I love the Greek Key pattern and the color looks great in the room. 

And just for fun, I decided to set my table for {an imaginary} dinner party!

The rug is from RugsUSA and I purchased it over Labor Day weekend for 70% OFF!!!!  Talk about bargain!




One last before and after:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I hope you love it as much as I do!  Have a great weekend!
Emily

4 comments:

  1. I so love it, looking better than ever. Looking forward to next time we share a meal there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! We can't wait either - miss you guys!

      Delete
  2. I love what you did with the room. Great use of bold colors and patterns!

    Corbin
    Decor-Eat

    ReplyDelete